Your child is settling nicely into a routine. We will be working on Zoo-Phonics letters C and D, and building social skills through cooperative play and working in the community of the classroom. These lessons will help enhance problem solving, develop the child’s identity and consciousness of self, and develop his or her sense of competence, which will build positive self-esteem. We will also start learning simple Spanish words, such as the words for numbers and colors.
Finally, we are going to work on Journal Reflections once in a week.
Please bring weather appropriate extra clothing! Our extra clothes stash is very low, and the capricious fall weather can be a challenge to dress appropriately for.
If your child is not potty trained we will need a supplyof adequate wipes, as each student has his own personal stash and borrowing from other students is thus not an option.
This month we will be receiving a visit from the R.H. Fire Department.
We will be having a Halloween party!
Journal reflection starts this month
* Use encouragement over praise, as encouragement builds social skills with others children, models our behavior through encouraging other friends to finish jobs, and helps us accomplish tough obstacles.
* Promote social play through small groups of children. When children play socially within a small group, they learn how to problem solve as a group, which helps enhance self-esteem and self-identity.
* Follow through will your child's selection of play and review the questions he/she asks.
* Play with your child on their level as a child. Don’t apply the same standards to a 2 year old as you would to a 10 year old.
* Ask open ended questions to build their social skills through recognizing their play selections and to train their use of language.
* Use literacy that focuses on socializing in the classroom community as a subject.