Welcome to the New Year! We hope everybody enjoyed spending time with family and loved ones over the holidays. Alas, as always, this time must come to an end. Thankfully, the new year promises to be a great one. This month we will begin by exploring the weather and other seasonal happenings. Our units are as follows:
1/4- 1/8: Bears
* Types of bears (e.g. polar bears)
* Bear habitat
1/11- 1/15: Penguins
* What a penguin looks like
* Penguin lifestyle
1/18- 1/22: Snow
* Snow flakes
1/25- 1/29: Hot and Cold
* Ways to stay warm (hats, hot chocolate)
* Things that are cold (ice, Popsicle, etc.)
Did You Know...
Many people refer to two year olds as "the terrible twos!" We disagree. Two year olds are spunky, ready to explore EVERYTHING, and overall full of life! Oftentimes, we as adults forget that children just need to be children. Sometimes we expect them to sit still, or be quiet, or clean up ALL of their toys, leading to a tantrum. We can avoid this and live peacefully with our little ones while staying sane! Here are some tips to try out at home:
1. Pick your battles. We are always going to bump heads with our little ones; they don't quite see things the way we do and that is completely okay. But you have to ask yourself, what things do I think are important above all else? You probably think something along the lines of their safety. When your child throws a tantrum because they do not want to wear their seat belt, that's one battle they they will not win. But is it really worth the tantrum on their part or a headache for you if you fight over which pair of shoes they want to wear?
2. Let them be a helper. We know that it is easier and quicker to do things by ourselves. But next time you are loading the dishwasher, have your toddler put the silverware in, or let them use the broom and sweep the floor. Toddlers love to help! It gives them a sense of self worth and autonomy. It is important to let them gain independence, with your guidance of course!
3. Give them choices. Giving toddlers choices allows them to feel like the decision they make is important. If you want Susie to clean up, give her a choice! She may choose to clean up the dolls, or she may clean up the blocks. Either way, you are getting the result you want, and Susie feels good about herself.
July will be a very fun month. I hope all the children are enjoying themselves and learning lots this summer (and summer camp) so far. Saturday, July 4th is Independence Day. We will be closed Friday, July 3rd. I hope you and your families have a happy and safe holiday. Preschool Graduation turned out great. The children did a great job during their first graduation party, and it was nice to see everyone come out to see the graduates’ big night.
Throughout the month of July we will be learning about Independence Day, and along the way we’re going to engage in some projects to help celebrate. We will be talking about what everyone is doing with their family to celebrate, and I’m excited about what my little ones will have to say about it. Following Independence weekend, we’re going to delve into a tropical wonderland with our Luau theme. Of course, themed projects will abound, and I will be bringing in related items for all of us to explore. As summers in Michigan are typically rife with camping trips, we will also spend a while this month talking about our camping experiences, exploring some camping safety rules, and, of course, making and eating camping treats. Another theme for the month of July will center on sports. Weather permitting, we will spend a lot of time playing sports outside, and on Thursday 23rd we encourage everyone to wear their favorite team’s T-shirt to school. Our final theme for the month will be an imaginary exploration of the rainforest. To explore that theme, we will be painting, reading, and looking at all kinds of images about the rainforest.
Some fun days to remember in July are:
July 10th – Teddy Bear Picnic Day
July 13th – Ben Mowat’s birthday
July 20th – National Lollipop Day
July 23rd – National Hot Dog Day
July 26th – Parents’ Day
Have a wonderful month of July, and a wonderful Fourth of July as well!